Controlled Substance Verification (CSVF)

Form Instructions

Federal Law allows an Advance Practice Registered Nurse to obtain a DEA number.

K.S.A. 65-1130 requires that written protocol be followed when prescribing, administering, or supplying a prescription. An Advance Practice Registered Nurse in the role of registered nurse anesthetist while functioning as a registered nurse anesthetist under K.S.A. 65-1151 to 65-1164, and amendments thereto, does not have authority to prescribe medication in Kansas.


I. Complete the Application for Registration Under Controlled Substances Act of 1970 (Form -224) available from the DEA at

II. Complete the Controlled Substance Verification Form (CSVF) available on KSBN’s website.

You may not prescribe controlled substances in Kansas until you provide the CSVF to Kansas State Board of Nursing and obtain a DEA number.

Questions? Email or call (785) 296-3782.

Reporting Changes: In addition to the changes that you must report to the DEA, you are also required to submit changes in your responsible physician to KSBN within 10 days.