Foreign Nurses InformationFor those that have nursing education outside of the US.
K.A.R. 60-3-106. Licensure qualifications
- As part of the application process, each individual applying for licensure in Kansas who is a graduate of a foreign nursing school shall submit that individual’s education and licensure credentials for evaluation to the commission on graduates of foreign nursing schools (CGFNS) or some other credentialing agency approved by the board.
- Any individual applying for licensure in Kansas who is a graduate of a foreign nursing school in which instruction was not in English may be granted a license if that individual meets all other requirements for licensure in effect at the time of application and shows proof of proficiency in English by passing any of the following:
- The test of English as a foreign language and the test of spoken English; or
- Similar examinations, as approved by the board.
Education Evaluation (CGFNS):
- Must be a graduate of a school for professional nursing that is approved by the board as defined in rules & regulations.
- Have education transcripts and nursing license evaluated by an approved Credentialing Agency and have the report sent directly to the Kansas State Board of Nursing. The approved credentialing agency evaluates an applicant’s education and registration credentials to certify that the applicant is a first-level general nurse and meets all of the registration requirements to be licensed as a professional in that field.
- KSBN requires a CGFNS Professional Report
Approved Credentialing Agency
Commission on Graduates of Foreign Nursing Schools (CGFNS)
3600 Market Street, Suite 400
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-2651
Tests Of English Language Proficiency:
- All applicants must show proficiency in oral and written English if their primary language was not English or if their nursing education was not in English.
- The Board has approved both the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) exam and the IELTS (International English Language Testing System) exam. Both are internet-based exams but can also be explored as in-person exams at approved testing centers.
- Approved Minimum scores for the exams are as follows: (each area must meet the minimum requirement):
- Request the results to be sent to the Kansas State Board of Nursing by using the code number 9149 in the results reporting list. Results will not be accepted if directly submitted by individuals/applicants.