Duplicate Wallet Card or Wall Certificate

Certificates and license cards will only be printed with initial licensure. The certificate and card will indicate that you have been approved for licensure in Kansas as a registered professional nurse, a licensed practical nurse, an advanced registered nurse practitioner, or a licensed mental health technician. These documents will have your name, address and license number. There will NOT be a date of expiration on your certificate. The current status of your license (whether active, inactive, lapsed, suspended, etc.) is available online at the Board’s website: ksbn.kansas.gov. The web site will also show the date your license expires. For employers to verify the status of the license, employers will go online (just as they do now). It is important that the nurse verifies that their license has been renewed. You can do that by going to ksbn.kansas.gov and click on license renewals. Log into the system and insert your UserID and Password. The list of licenses that you hold will be displayed under your personal information. It will contain your license number, status, issue date, and expiration date (see examples below).

There will be no process change on notification of renewal as you will continue to receive notice that your license is due for renewal just as you do now. KSBN will continue to mail the notice approximately 90 days prior to your birth month. If you were born in an odd year (example 1975) you will receive the notice in an odd year (example 2011). If you were born in an even year (example 1978) you will receive your notice in an even year (2010). For example, if your birth month is September 1975, the postcard is mailed the first week of July 2011. If your birth month is October 1978, the postcards are mailed the first week of August 2010.

You may ALWAYS renew online within 90 days of your birth month in the year that you are due to renew. It would be a good practice to check your nursing license EVERY year on your birthday to make sure that the license does not lapse. This is particularly a good habit in case you forget to notify the Board that you have moved, and the post office is no longer forwarding your mail. If you move you are required to notify the board within 30 days of your new address. You may notify the board by going online and changing your address. This service is available 24 hours a day-7 days a week.