Renew License

Renewing Online:

To renew online, you will need to:

  • Access to the Internet
  • Access to a checking account or credit card
  • Log onto Online License Portal
    • If you have not already created your own unique User ID and Password you will need to do Register a Person before you can begin the renewal process.
  • Select “Renew License”
  • Click the “Continue” link in the blue bar above your license
  • Complete/update the forms
  • Pay by card or check
  • Print your receipt for your records

There are some cases where individuals are not eligible to use the online license renewal process at this time.
Do not proceed online if:

  • Initiating or Renewing Inactive license status
  • Initiating or Renewing an Exempt license
  • You do not have the required and preapproved 30 hours of continuing nursing education (CNE).
  • If you have college courses that have not been approved through the Individual Offering of Approval (IOA) process.

Renewing an Exempt License:

K.A.R. 60-3-112, 60-11-121 and 60-7-109, Exempt License.

  • (a) An exempt license shall be granted only to an RN, LPN, APRN (NP, CNS, RNA or NMW) or LMHT who meets these requirements:
    • (1) Is not regularly engaged in nursing or mental health technology Kansas, but volunteers nursing or mental health services or is a charitable health care provider, as defined by K.S.A. 75-6102 and amendments thereto: and
    • (2) (A) Has been licensed in Kansas for the five years previous to applying for an exempt license; or
    • (B) has been licensed, authorized, or certified in another jurisdiction for the five years previous to applying for an exempt license and meets all requirements for endorsement into Kansas.
  • (b) The expiration date of the exempt license shall be in accordance with K.A. R. 60-3-108.
  • (c) Each application for renewal of an exempt license shall be submitted upon a form furnished by the board and
    shall be accompanied by the fee.

Renew by Mail:

To renew by mail, you will need to:

  • Have an active Kansas license on the date the application is postmarked
  • Print out the License Renewal Application
    • Complete all required blanks
      • Typed or in blue/black ink
      • Corrections made with fluid or tape are not permitted
    • Include your license number/s and check mark all licenses you wish to renew
    • Sign and date the application (with a current date)
    • Sign and date all attached pages (with a current date)
  • Complete continuing education approved by board of nursing or national nursing organization
    • Must be at least ½ contact hour in length, and completed during current licensing period
    • Attach military orders if you are renewing following active military service and wish to defer CNE requirements.
  • Attach appropriate fee (total for all licenses)
    • Check, Money Order, or Cash
  • Attach all required additional documents
    • Must be originals or certified copies

DO NOT SEND COPIES OF CONTINUING NURSING EDUCATION. If selected for an audit of continuing nursing education hours, notification will be received by mail. Nurses selected for an audit are given 21 days to submit copies of continuing nursing education certificates to the Board.

PLEASE ALLOW TWO WEEKS FOR PROCESSING YOUR RENEWAL APPLICATION. If the renewal application is not postmarked by the last day of the renewal month, reinstatement will be required and you will be unable to practice in Kansas until reinstatement is complete, this can take up to TEN business days or more from receipt.

Renew an Inactive License:

To renew an inactive license:

  • Print out the License Renewal Application
  • Complete the form like you were going to renew normally
    • Check the “Inactive” option, not “Renewal”
  • Attach the appropriate fee for an inactive license
  • You will not need CNEs for this type of renewal
  • Send everything to the KSBN office for processing

Note: You will still have to renew this status every two years like you would normally. You will not have to provide CNEs, but you will also not be able to practice on this license status. (See exempt status if you want to do volunteer work, etc.)