To renew online:
- You must have access to the Internet, a checking account or credit card, and register an account online.
- Log onto Online License Renewals and follow the directions on the screen.
- If you have not already created your own unique User ID and Password you will need to Register a Person before you can begin the Renewal process.
There are some cases where individuals are not eligible to use the online license renewal process at this time. Do not proceed online if:
- Initiating or Renewing Inactive license status
- Initiating or Renewing an Exempt license
- You do not have the required and preapproved 30 hours of continuing nursing education (CNE).
- If you have college courses that have not been approved through the Individual Offering of Approval (IOA) process.
To renew by mail:
- All required blanks are complete – typed or in blue or black ink
- (corrections made with fluid or tape are not permitted).
- License number and check mark by all licenses you wish to renew.
- Application is signed and dated (with a current date).
- All attached pages signed and dated (with a current date).
- Completed continuing education approved by board of nursing or national nursing organization, at least ½ contact hour in length, and completed during current licensing period.
- Appropriate fee is attached (total fee for all licenses).
- All required additional documents are attached and are certified copies.
- Military orders are attached if you are renewing following active military service and wish to defer CNE requirements.
- License is active on the date the application is postmarked.
DO NOT SEND COPIES OF CONTINUING NURSING EDUCATION. If selected for an audit of continuing nursing education hours, notification will be received by mail. Nurses selected for an audit are given 21 days to submit copies of continuing nursing education certificates to the Board.
PLEASE ALLOW TWO WEEKS FOR PROCESSING YOUR RENEWAL APPLICATION. If the renewal application is not postmarked by the last day of the renewal month, reinstatement will be required and you will be unable to practice in Kansas until reinstatement is complete, this can take up to TEN business days or more from receipt.
Renew a license as Exempt:
K.A.R. 60-3-112, 60-11-121 and 60-7-109, Exempt License.
(a) An exempt license shall be granted only to an RN, LPN, APRN (NP, CNS, RNA or NMW) or LMHT who meets these requirements:
(1) Is not regularly engaged in nursing or mental health technology Kansas, but volunteers nursing or mental health services or is a charitable health care provider, as defined by K.S.A. 75-6102 and amendments thereto: and
(2) (A) Has been licensed in Kansas for the five years previous to applying for an exempt license; or
(B) has been licensed, authorized, or certified in another jurisdiction for the five years previous to applying for an exempt license and meets all requirements for endorsement into Kansas.
(b) The expiration date of the exempt license shall be in accordance with K.A. R. 60-3-108.
(c) Each application for renewal of an exempt license shall be submitted upon a form furnished by the board and
shall be accompanied by the fee.